Friday, February 24, 2006

Excavating the Cave

Some of you know about the Cave. A few of you have actually seen it.

The Cave was created in the spare bedroom of the condo early on in our marriage. I was living in South Pasadena, Kori was living in Anaheim. I rented, she owned.

So, I moved to Anaheim.

While living in South Pasadena for the second time, I had an old-school two-bedroom apartment with my lil' sister. I pretty much kept my stuff in my bedroom, and that allowed my sister to keep the rest of the place clean. The entire time I was living in South Pasadena, I was working 6-7 days a week, usually ten+ hours days, often at work or play late and always up early... like before dawn. The times I was home and awake, I toiled away at the desktop.

My room was a disaster.

And then I got married.

Kori and I did not cohabitate before we got married. We met in February and married in December of the same year. Plus neither one of us believed cohabitation in the non-platonic sense was a good idea. There were weekend nights where I'd stay in the spare bedroom at her condo, usually after I had worked at Disneyland Park and would be returning to a shift there the next morning. Often in those cases, she would leave to work an overnight shift at the hospital.

Yeah, it was hard to retire the spare bedroom with a hot babe nearby. But that's where I slept each and every time I stayed over before the wedding.

When we got married, we went on our honeymoon right after. I had moved some essentials into the condo, and place was a mess. When we got back from the two weeks away, we'd found that one of Kori's sisters, future brother-in-law, and parents had cleaned and organized the place. Great!

But then, we still had to move most of my mess from the apartment to the condo. And, most of the mess was eventually sent to the spare bedroom, when I decided it was not good for emotional health of either of us for my wife to keep poring through the casual and formal chornicles of my life... the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It bacame a giant, unorganized closet in there, much to the dismay of my wife. Spare matress and box spring. Old computers. Clothes. Books. An unassembled bookcase. Many, many boxes. I'm a bit of a compulsive info hoarder... magazines, brochures, books, notes, etc.

So today, we decided to move the spare box spring and mattress onto the properly placed box spring, removing the smaller mattress. Still don't know what we're going to do about that. But it is the first step in a new effort to do something about the Cave, because we'll be able to assemble the bookcase, move the filing cabinet, and have a better shot at going through the boxes in a meaninful way.

Hopefully, this is the start of the final effort to make the Cave a spare bedroom again.

-Ken

No comments: