Sunday, May 07, 2006

What We've Been Up To



Last weekend was a tiring one. I left work at lunchtime on Thursday the 27th to that Kori and I could come home and prepare for Bob & Julie's wedding rehearsal and dinner. The rehearsal went well enough, and dinner was good. In addition to the main gift (I was Best Man), Bob & Julie blessed me with the how-did-we-ever-get-along-without-it Gillette Fusion [warning: Anglo-Saxon words are used in that link] Five Blade Razor, probably because 1)I'm hairy and usually sporting a shadow and 2) I talked a lot about it when I heard it was coming to the market. I just think it is hilarious when The Onion can predict the future so well.

When we got home, we found out that the moveable (it is on rollers and hooks up to the kitchen sink) washer/dryer unit that we bought online was broken again. This is the second time. We have to ask a repairman to come weeks or months in advance. Fun.

Friday (4/28), we ran some errands, including picking up the tuxes for Rick and I and Friar Tux in Lakewood. Prom season was evident. I picked up Rick's tux because he lives in Vegas now.

Saturday (4/29), Kori got up and went to have breakfast with her mom. Later, we went to my mother's for an early dinner. Late at night, drifting off to sleep, Kori and I were thinking of all of the horrible but funny things I could say during the Best Man toast.

Sunday (4/30), - Bob & Julie's wedding day! I got up and went to pick up Bob at 9am for breakfast, and after we ate I promptly dropped him off again at home.

We made it to the Garden Room an hour before the wedding - which was right on time. We didn't need to help seat people or anything, so it was basically hanging out waiting. The ceremony started and we took our places. Bob shed a couple of tears watching Julie come down the aisle. He spoke well, only having one slight stutter during the ceremony. I think he spoke more fluently than I did during my own wedding.

We made our entrances to the reception and remained standing for the toasts. I started off talking about how Bob and I had breakfast together in the morning, and how I let him pick the place because "It will be the last decision you ever get to make." That got a laugh. Then I talked about how, as they may have noticed in the printed program, that Bob and I met as teenagers when we shared the same love. We had watched the object of our interest grow and develop and talked with her father... we couldn't wait for that first touch and to spend time with her. But then we realized that we didn't have to be rivals - we could both enjoy her together. But enough about Splash Mountain...

It was a great wedding and a lot of fun. The DJ did a great job.

We stayed until the end, helping to move stuff to cars, and then went home. It was after 10.

Monday, May 1, I had taken the day off from work to recover, and so we ran some errands. Traffic was great due to the day of activism/demonstration.

I had three days of work during the week. It's a very busy time at the office. We have two seasons... busy and very busy.

Friday (5/5), we ran some errands and then ended up slipping in to Disneyland Park after 10pm so that we could enjoy the nighttime atmosphere there. We checked out the recent changes inside the Haunted Mansion (mostly good), rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and then hit Space Mountain. I was actually able to find a former co-worker to check in with. That can be hard at night, thanks to turnover.

Saturday (5/6), I finished up my latest review. After a nice dinner with Kori's parents, we went to Golden West College to see Kori's sister Kirby in the role of Hedy La Rue in "How to Succeed in Business Withouth Really Trying". She was good, and the play was very entertaining. Afterwards, we joined Kori's sister Kendra and her husband Steve in taking Kirby out for dessert at BJ's, where prom season was evident.

Today, we hit church and then our small group that meets afterwards. I think it was the largest gathering we've had for our small group, and several of the women are pregnant. So, the group keeps getting larger!

No comments: